Saturday, April 7, 2007

That Ain't Right (Part 1)

As I talked with my paralyzed friend the other day I realized how my fight to see the disabled healed carries so much more weight than I realized. I don’t really know how many people there are in the world who are significantly suffering due to health problems but it has to be hundreds of millions if not billions. It is so easy when faced with such a big problem to just throw ones hands up in the air in disgust not even knowing where to start.

Earlier this week I decided that I needed to start over in my quest to right what the devil has made wrong. I am tired of offering sympathy to those who are suffering. Although I have been told that I am full of compassion for others, the difference between it and sympathy is doing something about it. So I am gonna do something about the suffering that is going on in the world.

I don’t know what it will look like, but I know that I can no longer sit back and wait, merely hoping that it will happen. What is it? God’s spirit being poured out on me in such a way that the blind see, the deaf hear, the lame walk and the gospel is preached to the poor. In the past I would have just thought that it would look like crusades in as many countries as was feasible, but today I realized that I can’t afford to end up like any past revivalist who died without passing the baton to the next generation of leaders, equipping the body of Christ to do the same, and making sure that people realized that the power was from God and not from them.

Prayer is the backbone of ministry and yet that seems to be one of the first things to go when life becomes busy. I am determined to make sure that my bank account is full so that when I need to make a big withdrawal, I have enough in my account to cover it time and time again. As I prayed I believed that God was going to release his healing anointing to heal my friend as well as the countless others that I will come across in my time on earth.

Remember how Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness? Then I am sure you also remember that the prayers of the righteous man are powerful and effective.

There comes a time when an injustice goes too far. That time is now. What would you do if your home was completely destroyed by a natural disaster and you had no shelter, only the clothes on your back (if you were lucky), you have no source of food and you haven’t eaten in weeks? In Mozambique, severe flooding has displaced hundreds of thousands of people and without government aid as we are fortunate to have in the United States, many people are suffering and facing horrible conditions.

IMG_0390

The above picture is of a refugee camp where the shelters are sticks with grass over them. That camp was visited by Iris Ministries and was brought food for its 6,000 refugees. Iris Ministries is actually a great example of equipping the body of Christ, raising up leaders, and preaching the Gospel to the poor. And I shouldn’t neglect mentioning that through their ministry the blind see, the deaf hear, the lame walk, and the dead are raised!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come on! Iris Ministries rocked my world couple of years ago! WOW WOW. I like the comment about prayer being the backbone of ministry and having your account full - good point.