Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Keep the fire going!

About two weeks ago the Thermocouple on the water heater decided that it didn't want to work anymore. This caused the pilot to go out and stopped the gas from heating the water. The result was very cold showers and no hot water at all. I decided that enough was enough and I went to Home Depot to buy this $7 part. After installing it I re-lit the pilot light and turned the water heater back on. It wasn't too difficult, but it probably still took me an hour, plus the time to go buy the part. Unfortunately, I couldn't immediately enjoy a hot shower as it still takes time for the water to heat up. Then it occured to me how many Christians continuously allow their pilot light to go out, making it difficult each time they want to have hot water. Allow me to explain.

Our pilot light is our relationship with the Holy Spirit. It is being in a constant state of prayer. It is staying in His presence. It is being constantly connected with Him. I have had this happen to me before, where I allowed myself to not spend time seeking God every day, and then finding how difficult it was to get the fire back to pray, soak, and literally walk with Him. It got to the point where the water was so cold that I couldn't stand it anymore and I had to get back with God. Likewise, I got to the point where I was tired of cold showers and I had to have hot water.

It may cost more to constantly remain connected to the Holy Spirit because in order to do so you may have to eliminate some things that you do and likewise it costs more to have the water heater going every day so that the water is hot. However, the cost is worth it. I am reminded of a dream that one of the interns had in which he was turning on the lights in this huge house and a woman, who represented the Holy Spirit, kept turning them off. After arguing with her about keeping the lights on to let people know she was there, she ran throughout the house and turned on every last light, coming back to tell him, "Power costs!"

It is costly to walk in power. Many people, myself included have tried to just turn on the heat when they are in the moment, but that doesn't usually work. To see the best results, the heater needs to be on all the time. We must constantly stay connected to the Holy Spirit, not just when we want to see the results. No coach would let someone from the crowd join his team during a game and give him the ball. The coach gives the ball to those who are there day in and day out and have proven their faithfulness with whatever opportunities they are given.

Don't turn off your heater and let your pilot light go out. It might not seem like a big deal to turn it off and it might seem like you are saving yourself some money, but when the time comes to bring the heat you will be like the virgins who didn't prepare oil for their lamps. You will miss out on opportunities to see Heaven invade Earth. Pay the price to keep your fire going. It is worth the cost.

No comments: