Friday, December 29, 2006

Developing History

I was just checking my email and came across this section of an article by Rick Joyner on the Elijah List...

"Many people have experienced profound changes in their lives by going on a television fast. Some have been changed so much that they threw their TV's out. If TV is sapping your life, stealing the quality time you should be spending with the Lord or your family, turn it off just one night a week and spend that time with the Lord or in conversation with your family--it could change your life and theirs.

Again, after doing this one night a week, you will soon want to add another night. Soon you will find yourself rarely turning your television on, and then it will be with purpose, not just randomly trying to find something to entertain you, which is usually a symptom of an empty, aimless, spiritual life."

Now I haven't had cable tv since I moved to California so the only bit I have watched was in the laundromat, but I thought that I should apply this to the internet. I probably won't throw out my computer as it is the main way I communicate with people, but I think it is a step in the right direction for getting a more productive lifestyle (you might not like the term "productive", but I do, and my opinion wins) in place so that I can get more reading done. There are too many good books out there for me to try to occupy my time by looking through my friends list on myspace (no offense), and there are too many cool people that I should make more time to hang out with by having everything I need to do finished so that I can have free time.

In this article, Rick Joyner also talked about getting time in the word and prayer. In the same way it can help if you start with a little bit and work up towards your goal. I need to get on this. I want to know the word and the only way I will know it is if I read it a lot. I need to develop a history with my bible just as I need to continue developing history with God in the prayer room. Amen to myself. Yay for Friday night, it seems like it has been forever since there has been anything going on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Dave! True, true... the internet is just as much of a time waster as TV. It's good to occasionaly keep up with people, but hanging out and developing relationships in person is a much more fulfilling use of your time. Proud of you!

David D'Louhy said...

wow, someone does actually read this after all. thanks Lisa!