Tuesday, May 15, 2007

How to Move Mountains

These days there is a "How to" book on just about every subject imaginable. Come to think of it, if someone finds a subject that doesn't have one, they will probably write it or sell the idea to a publisher. Well, since there are already books on how to cook Salmon, how to use an egg several hundred ways, and how to play video games, I thought that I would devote this blog on how to move mountains.

First you need to expect the miraculous from God. Bill Johnson says that we need to pray for things that are probable, improbable, and impossible so that by the success of the probable we are building strength for the improbable and impossible. Similarly, you should anticipate what God is going to do because by doing so you are abiding in faith. Oftentimes when we anticipate what God will do He will equip us with a gift of faith for the situation. This jolt of faith gives us the spiritual strength to beat the odds. However, we must not neglect developing a life of faith, which sets our attitude, that will sustain us between times when God equips us with that burst of radical faith. Each gift of faith should raise our measure of faith that we live with on a daily basis. Although you might not use it to the same extent in your normal activities, strength training will increase your strength so that when needed, you are up to the task.

Link your heart to what God is already doing. If God is sending rain, pray for rain. If a contract looks to be won, pray for the contract. By praying for what God is already doing, you are co-laboring with Him and building up a history of success. Then it is very important to celebrate those answered prayers. Give thanks to God for answering your prayers and remind yourself of how faithful He is. When less probably circumstances come your way, you will have greater faith because you have experienced the smaller victories. If I went to the gym today (I have not been in a year), it would be foolish for me to try to bench press 250 pounds on my first try. I need to work my way up, starting with what is easier. Why is it that sometimes we think that a headache is nothing and that the only people worth praying for are those who are dying or haven't walked in 40 years (I am shouting at myself)? Sure I could try to lift 250 pounds once with someone spotting me to make sure I don't seriously hurt myself, but meanwhile I should work most on what is probable and improbable.

Have the mindset that you have a 100% rate of success. If I were to play tennis right now it would be easy for me to have the mindset that my first serve would be a fault. Why? Because most of the time my first serves have been faults. However, if I go into my serve expecting to get an ace I found that oftentimes I would get one! However, I can't remember ever getting an ace when I had the mentality that I was just going to mess up on my first serve. Likewise, when praying for someone we must have the mindset that every person we pray for gets healed, or in this case, every mountain that has ever been in my way has gotten out of my way. Plus, we serve a God who does the impossible so why not believe that every person will be healed?

I will undoubtedly talk about this again because I absolutely love it. However, if you are slightly bored, feel free to check out a sweet Mountain Moving picture that I put on my new website. It beats myspace by a longshot and is much more customizable than any other site I've seen thus far. So feel free to join and add me as a friend!

No comments: